Everyone will love these non gluten baked doughnuts – they are quick and easy to make and taste incredible! It is a great recipe to have fun in the kitchen with the children and a sure crowd-pleaser.
The simple combination of Japanese Non-Gluten Rice Flour and tapioca flour makes the doughnuts light and flavorful and decorating them with a simple cream cheese glaze and freeze-dried strawberries takes the yumminess to another level. You may also enjoy them straight from the oven or simply drizzle the cooled doughnuts with melted chocolate. Add even more more flavor with a teaspoon of ground cinnamon in the dough and then dusting the baked doughnuts with cinnamon sugar.
Fun facts: Each year, over 10 billion doughnuts are made in the U.S. and about 1 billion in Canada. There are two National Doughnut Days – one is celebrated on the first Friday of June and the other on November 5th.
YIELD: 6 doughnuts
PREP TIME: 15 min
BAKE TIME: 10 minutes
RECIPE TYPE: American | Dessert | Gluten -free
Ingredients For Non Gluten Baked Doughnuts
- 2/3 cup Japanese Non-Gluten Rice Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour or potato starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons milk powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter or oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles and 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries, to decorate (optional)
- 4 oz/113g cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons half and half or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C/Gas 5. Lightly spray a 6-hole doughnut pan with kitchen spray and set aside.
Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together eggs, apple cider vinegar, eggs, butter, and vanilla and stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. Try to not overmix. Spoon or pipe the batter into the prepared doughnut pan, dividing it equally.
Bake the doughnuts for about 10 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool for a few minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, whisk all glaze ingredient until smooth, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of hot water to adjust the consistency. Spread the glaze over the cooled doughnuts and, if desired, decorate with sprinkles and freeze-dried strawberries.
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- If you don’t own a doughnut baking pan, roll the dough to about 3/4-inch thickness and cut out circles with a 3-inch round cutter, then cut a 1-inch hole in the center of each doughnut.
- To reduce the carbs, substitute cane sugar with powdered monk fruit or another sweetener of choice.
- Freeze the cooled doughnuts without the glaze for up to 3 months.
More Non-Gluten Rice Flour Recipes
A doughnut pan can be an excellent tool for shaping these Non-Gluten Baked Doughnuts. They’re decorated with sprinkles and dipped in the vanilla glaze for an irresistible delicacy. Everyone will enjoy them, regardless of whether or not they adhere to a gluten-free diet.