Minestrone soup is a mixture of fresh vegetables and spices that are simmered in a tomato based broth. Add gnocchi made of Japanese Non-Gluten Rice Flour to Minestrone with plenty of vegetables and make it even healthier! You can substitute various kinds of vegetables from pantry and can make it very easy. If you like your Minestrone a little on the brothier side then decrease the tomato paste and increase it if you like to taste tomato more. Please adjust the thickness of the soup as you like. If you put some shredded cheese on it at the end, the flavor and richness will be even better.
YIELD: 6-8 servings
COOK TIME: 50 min
RECIPE TYPE: American | Soup | Gluten -free
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried rosemary
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 4 medium coves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup diced canned tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 can great northern beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
RICE FLOUR GNOCCHI
- 1 cup Japanese Non-Gluten Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup water
- Any kind of shredded cheese
- Fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Olive oil
In a small bowl, mix well the flour, potato starch and water by spoon.
Take a 1 teaspoon piece of mixture and squeeze it in your fist to make a compact and roughly shaped ball, then roll it between your palms to make it round.
Put a ball of the dough on a cutting board, press lightly with a fork and fold the edge with your two fingers.
Repeat with remaining pieces of dough.
Heat the olive oil, thyme and rosemary in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic, and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 3 minutes.
Add the chicken stock, tomato paste, water, sugar, tomatoes and beans, with their liquid, and the bay leaves and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a bare simmer, cook 20 minutes.
Add the gnocchi you made until the color turns from white to clear, about last 5 minutes. *1
Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
Discard the bay leaves.
Add the peas and cherry tomato, and stir until the peas are thawed.
Serve, drizzling with olive oil and garnish with favorite shredded cheese, chopped Italian parsley, and chopped fresh basil for each serving.
- Each vegetable has a different cook time, so need to change the time to start cooking according to the vegetables.
- *1 After putting the gnocchi into the soup, do not touch it until the gnocchi is cooked well.